Wednesday 18 February 2009

What a week!



It has been quite a week with a heck of a lot of life-changing stuff going down. I would have to say it's been a good week. Though, depending on your point of view, I can see why it might not seem that way at first glance.

You see, the major source of income for both Tim and I comes from a non-profit organisation that we run / administer / work for. It's our bread and butter; the steady income that allows us to also follow our dreams. Well, around a week ago, it looked like that income was about to stop. Right now. Over. And, you know, neither of us could find it in ourselves to be very upset about that. I know that's not the usual reaction to losing your job. I mean, we have a mortgage, 2 kids, the usual bills and all the rest of it. But this work isn't what we want to do for the rest of our lives, and we're resourceful people, so we instantly saw this as an opportunity......

And how!

Imagine this for a moment..... what would it feel like if you could sort your finances so that you could take the next year (yes, I said A YEAR) to work just on your dreams? To give your passions the time and focus they need to become fantastically successful so that they become your ONLY source of income. So that you get to do what you love every day! Give up your day job! Make your business dreams a reality!

It kind of spins your head at first, and then it just becomes ...... exciting! Doesn't it?!!

So that's what we've done! Can you imagine! What a way to spend a year! (This kind of talk really does call for a LOT of exclamation marks, doesn't it!!!!!!!!!)

I'll just say that again - we're taking the next year to work on our dreams. I love it. LOVE IT.

Plus, it's also the week that one of my stockists in Melbourne - the gorgeous Emporium Botanica - sent me a nice little cash deposit for sales of my jewellery I've had on consignment with them. Loving it more.

PLUS, I made my first sale on etsy! And to someone who lives only 2 suburbs away from me - to Susan of the lovely blog Isabella Golightly. How about that!

All in all it's been an incredible week that has prompted some good reading to set me on the path. I've just finished Kelly Rae Roberts' Taking Flight - a heck of a good read for someone embarking on a creative adventure such as this. Here's a quote she quotes that kind of sums up the gift ahead of us....

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. The tragedy is that we ignore so much of it in the interst of getting to the real stuff." Annie Dillard

More than I can say, I'm looking forward to days, to months, spent on the real stuff. Yippee!!!

No comments: